Share This Article:
The De-Winterizing Debrief
We've changed our clocks and stored the sleds, which must mean spring is almost here! Preparing your home for the spring is a daunting task so we made you a checklist. Get ready for the April showers and May flowers by checking these things in your
home, yard and car.
- Make sure your attic is getting the ventilation it needs! This releases heat and prevents moisture to lower your chances of mold and mildew, keeping you healthy and tidy.
- Finish spring cleaning. Do a deep clean of your home to get rid of the wintery gunk that was tracked inside. Don’t forget to look behind appliances!
- Adjust your thermostat and water heater so you don’t overheat or overpay!
- Get a checkup on indoor and outdoor HVAC components to quell leaks and maximize efficiency.
- Store your winter decorations and break out those bright pastels!
- Check the exterior to prepare for summer storms and heat. This includes the roof, siding, windows, screens and foundation. Look for cracks, gaps and leaks.
- Test your outside water lines by turning on the water and ensuring the faucets work correctly. Also, reattach and run the hose.
- Test your outdoor outlets. Don’t wait until the first barbeque of the season to find that out!
- Prepare for the rain by clearing drains, spouts and gutters of debris.
- Clean up the winter debris. This is great for starting your own compost pile!
- Aerate your lawn.
- Pick weeds to make way for spring flowers.
- Apply fertilizer after the first mow of the spring to maximize growth .
- Get the games out! Bocce ball, cornhole and washer toss are some of our favorites.
- Check fluid levels: coolant, transmission, differential, power steering and brake.
- Change the oil.
- Recharge or replace your car’s battery. You can test your battery at a local auto shop.
- Clean the undercarriage at home or the car wash, especially if you live somewhere snowy. The salt from the roads can erode the metal!
Check ATGStores.com for any de-winterizing tools you may need! Happy spring!